Lot #55. A plain iron rail surrounded the second lot from George Street, which appears to be vacant as there are no tombstones. Buried here, however, are James Walker Wallace (died 1890) with his wife Martha, and their unmarried daughters, Rachel and Annie.
James Wallace was a son of Robert Wallace and Mary Strachan, born on 17 May 1849 and baptised in the old Kirk. He altered Fredericton’s lighting from oil lamps to gas. A sister of James Wallace married Robert MacReadie, who later altered the gas fixtures for electricity. Another sister, Mary, the second wife of William Tufts, is buried here with her brother’s family and her parents.
See also The Old Burying Ground, Vol. III, p. 244.