Mary Hamilton, born April 23, 1774, died April 23, 1868, ae 94.
Jane H. Reid, born May 1, 1802, died June 24, 1889.
James D. Reid, born Oct. 24, 1824, died Nov. 4, 1907.
John Hamilton Reid, born June 27, 1822, died Jan. 4, 1911.
Robert A. Reid, born May 24, 1827, died June 8th, 1910.
John Mitchell Reid, 1854-1928. His wife, Louise Frances, 1855-1935.
James Reid, Jr. born 1854, died 1863, ae. 9 years.
A black imitation marble stone has replaced the early ones. Robert A. Reid, father of John Mitchell and James Reid, Jr., is not buried here but in Carleton County although his name is on the stone. In this plot is a second small monument for James Reid, Jr., twin brother of John Mitchell Reid. This small stone was carried away several times but it was later found and returned.
Mary Hamilton’s husband, Robert Hamilton, died at a young age of fever while travelling from Ireland to visit one of the early American colonies. Her daughter, Jane Hamilton, married James Reid from Scotland. Mary Hamilton, Jane Reid, and Jane’s three sons, John Hamilton Reid, James D. Reid and Robert A. Reid, came to New Brunswick from Ireland by way of Scotland in 1826. Mary died in 1868 at the Reid homestead in Fredericton.
The old Reid home, where they kept a general store, stood just above the Ryan block on Queen Street, and was the only building left standing in the centre of Fredericton after the fire of 1850. The Reids owned a farm, “Camp Fordham,” four miles below Fredericton, on which was a mile-long shooting range, where in 1870 an All Canada Meet was held. It was part of the Simonds grant purchased by John Reid in 1854.
The 1851 census records that J. H. Reed [Reid], 26, English, merchant, was living with his mother, Jane Reid, 42, Irish; his brother, Robert A., 22; and his grandmother, Mrs. Hamilton, 68, Irish. The household in 1871 consisted of John H. Reid, his mother Jane, and John M., aged 16.
John Hamilton Reid was the President of the York County Agricultural Society for many years and the superintendent of the Exhibition Grounds. It was mainly through his efforts that the magnificent Exhibition Palace was built in 1863-1864. When the building went up in flames in 1877, fire flakes fell on houses below the Cathedral. All parts of the city were in danger. The second Exhibition building, built the next year, burned in 1882. A great horseman, J.H. Reid brought into the Province some excellent sires and, with one importation from Kentucky, he travelled in the same car.
John H. Reid claims lot 12 x 14 in the new part, bounded on the east by A.W. Richey’s lot on the northwest by the first walk running parallel with Barrack Lane at lower end. This lot was divided into two parts. One part which is enclosed by stone posts and rods under the control of Mr. George Woods and the other belonging to me. I claim for Mrs. Woods and heirs the right of interment in her lot. This lot was purchased from Henry Chestnut in 1859 by Mrs. Woods and Mr. Reid.
Henry Francis Pearson, 1873 In Peace.
A handsome cruciform tomb lies in this plot, in memory of Henry Francis Pearson, died 13 February 1873, aged 11 years. He died in the scarlet fever epidemic and was the child of the Reverend John Pearson. In 1878, Rev. Pearson was buried here with his son.
The Fredericton census for 1871 lists John Pearson, 41, English, Clerk in Holy Orders, Church of England, with his wife, Fanny, 41, and three children: Frances L., 16, born in Nova Scotia; Henry F., 9; and Ellen M., 7 years. The younger two children were born in Newfoundland.
Records show that Rev. John Pearson was stationed in Newfoundland in the early 1860s. He was sub-dean of Christ Church Cathedral, Fredericton, from May 1864 to October 1875. A letter was published in a Saint John newspaper demanding to know why the sub-dean of the Cathedral was not appointed Rector of Fredericton to succeed Rev. Charles Lee who drowned in 1873. This appointment had fallen instead to the Reverend George Goodridge Roberts.
In memory of Jasper Nugent Murphy, M.D. 1815-1878, his wife George H. Ludlow, 1822-1909, their son Jasper Nugent, 1852-1859, aged 7 years.
Mrs. J.N. Murphy was George Ludlow Harriet Wetmore. She was named for her father, Judge George Ludlow Wetmore, who fell in the Wetmore-Street duel in 1821. The widow, Harriet Wetmore, lived with the Murphys. Her brother was Andrew Rainsford who served in the 104th Regiment. Dr. Murphy’s home was on the river bank at the lower end of Queen Street, behind the site of the present Lord Beaverbrook Hotel.
Dr. Murphy was a widower when he married George Wetmore. The Murphys had seven daughters and two sons. One son, Jasper Nugent, died in the scarlet fever epidemic. The other son, William, died at the age of seventeen. He was accidentally shot by his uncle, barrister James Wetmore, while they were cleaning guns in Dr. Murphy’s house. The daughters were Susan, Fanny, Gertrude, Harriet Courtland Ludlow, Catherine, Emily Elizabeth, and Margaret.