George Woods and his wife Jane Fenton

Woods

Miss Lillie A. Woods claims a lot 13 x 20 situate in the new part and adjoining a small lot owned by one Jasper Murphy with monument. Half of the above lot is enclosed with granite posts, the other half having no enclosure but simply marked off. This lot was purchased by Miss L.A. Woods’ mother some 20 years ago from R. Woods for which a receipt is held.

A large new rose quartz stone, with “Father” and “Mother” engraved on the base, stands in this lot. It is four-sided and engraved on three sides.

“FATHER” In loving memory of George Woods, who departed this life 6th October, 1859 aged 59 years.

“MOTHER” In loving memory of Jane Fenton, wife of George Woods, who departed this life 13th October, 1887, in the 81st year of her age.

The home of George Woods stood on the site of 24 Waterloo Row.

Advertisement, November 1828:

The Fredericton Reading and News Room are now opening for the reception of members and their friends in Mr. Hatheway’s brick building in Queen Street opposite the Military Promenade every day, Sundays excepted, from 9 o’clock in the morning till 9 o’clock in the evening. George Woods, Fredericton, December 2.

New Brunswick Courier, 7 March 1835:

Married on Wednesday morning, 25th ult. in Christ Church, Fredericton, by the Ven. Archdeacon Coster, Mr. George Woods, merchant, to Janet, eldest daughter of Mr. James Fenton of Dramore, Ireland.

Francis Straton and family

Straton

The Straton family lot contained eight stones, a broken base, and a footstone. The eight stones have been replaced by a large new stone. A marker in the shape of a cross, inscribed “Minnie” and “Frank,” also stands in this lot.

In memory of Sarah Jane Straton, born 1817 died 1864, aged 47 years.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 12 November 1842:

Married on Monday the 31st ultimo, in Christ Church, Fredericton, by the Venerable Archdeacon, Francis A.H. Straton, Barrister-at-Law, to Sarah Jane, eldest daughter of the late George P. Bliss.

Francis A.H. Straton was a grandson of Lieut. James Straton. He was appointed Clerk of the Executive Council on 30 May 1856 and remained in office until his death. He was also a senior partner, with J. Henry Phair, of the law firm of Straton and Phair. The Phair and Straton families were connected by marriage.

Francis Straton married Sarah Jane Bliss in 1842. They lived with her widowed mother and numerous family members in Brunswick Street for many years. He moved his family to another house, 736 Brunswick Street, a few months before Sarah’s death. There were ten children by this marriage.

In memory of “Minnie” who died at the age of nine years, and “Frank” who died aged two years. ‘Not dead but sleeping.’

According to the Cathedral records of 1860, “Minnie” was Mary Harriet Rebecca Straton. “IHS,” a stone in memory of Andrew William “Andy” Straton, was erected by his cousin and friend Bliss Carman. Andrew Straton died a young man. There is also a footstone inscribed “A.W.S.”

In memory of Barry Straton, died October 10, 1901, aged 47 years.

Barry Straton was a lawyer but did not practice. Not as well known as his cousins, Bliss Carman and Charles G.D. Roberts, he wrote poetry of exceptional merit. He lived all his life with his grandmama in the oldest and original part of the large house in Brunswick Street upon what was once the John Murray Bliss grant. He never spoke to his stepmother, Augusta, who lived in an addition to the home. He died in Maugerville. For over sixty years this house at 736 Brunswick Street was known as Straton Manor and remains so today.

Sacred to the memory of John M. Straton, first mate of the Barque GENII.

Morning Telegraph, Saint John, NB, 7 October 1869:

Perhaps one of the most appalling disasters which the storm of Monday night brought about is the loss of the new barque “Genii”, 500 ton Register at New River… She sailed in ballast from St. Andrews on Friday last and arrived at New River on Saturday morn. to load deals for Liverpool under charter of J.E. Knight, Esq., lessee of the mills of Messrs. Prescott & Lawrence at that place. There were some 60,000 feet of deals rafted and ready to be put on board on Monday. The raft being completed, it was placed under the lee of the breakwater which, it was thought, would offer it ample security from the effects of the coming storm. The pilot of the ship, Capt. James Clarke of St. Andrews, had been put ashore and it was intended that he should be taken on board ship again toward night. The Stevedores, George and Peter McVicker had come from Mascarene bringing their crew, six in number, with them, and thus all, except the Pilot were on board when night came on. The following are the names of the men who were lost: Charles Bayley of Westport, Brier Island, Capt.; John M. Straton of Fredericton, Mate…

The eldest son of Francis A.H. Straton, was a victim of the disastrous Saxby Gale that occurred in the 26th year of his age. Jack Straton perished on 4 October 1869 and his remains were returned to Fredericton. He was buried with “Masonic and military honours” from his father’s Brunswick Street home. Old schoolmates and friends erected a stone in token of their respect and esteem. A small base is all that remains, and a footstone inscribed “JMS.”

In memory of James Murray Straton.

James Murray Straton was gazetted Second Lieutenant, New Brunswick Artillery, 14 April 1863, according to the New Brunswick Journals militia list of 1867. He was buried from the Cathedral on 9 October 1869, at the age of 25.

In memory of Francis A.H. Straton, died June 16, 1900, aged 88 years and his second wife Augusta, died February 23, 1906, aged 76. Their daughter Mary Isabella Straton died Dec. 28, 1956 aged 86 years.

In July 1866, Francis A.H. Straton married, secondly, Augusta, daughter of Benjamin L. Peters. For his second marriage, F.A.H. Straton had a house built adjoining the family homestead. They had two children. Their son, Brooke, is buried at Rumford, Maine. Their daughter, Mary I. (“May”), was blind. She died at the home of Walter P. Fenety, where she had resided for more than fifty years, and is buried in the family plot.

Simmons and Russell

Simmons

This burial lot, next to that of Manners-Sutton, was owned jointly by Isaac Simmons and John Russell. Part of an iron fence remains.

Sacred to the memory of Sarah A. beloved wife of Isaac W. Simmons, who departed this life on Aug. 6th, 1874 in the 42nd year of her age. Asleep in Jesus, blessed sleep.

The Simmons stone is engraved on two sides.

Sacred to the memory of George R. who departed this life on July 25th, 1859 in the 20th year of his age, son of John and Frances Russell. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord."

John Russell died April 2nd, 1875 ae 72 years.

Footstones: "S.S." and "FATHER."

Simmons and Russell had a tannery on the bank of the river at the end of Westmorland Street. They manufactured leather and patent leather, and their business was so profitable that a short railway ran from their premises along Westmorland Street to the main line. John Russell was also a tinsmith.

The Morning News, Saint John, reported on 23 January 1854 that Mr. Isaac W. Simmons and Miss Sarah A. Russell, both of Fredericton, had been married "on the 5th inst." by the Reverend Mr. Churchill. Sarah was a daughter of John Russell and his wife, Frances, who is buried in the Atherton family plot.

Descendants of Colonel Beverley Robinson

Robinson

William H. Robinson claimed lot #69, size about 13×18[other measurements in as 13 x 18] feet, situated in the new part, Section 4, fifth lot from George St. near the Alex Cumming lot. It is enclosed with stone posts and chains and marked by two double monuments, one interrupted for the children, and a single one to the memory of claimant’s grandfather, Hon. F.P. Robinson.

This fenced lot contains four stones and six graves, those of the Honourable Frederick P. Robinson and his wife, Jane; their eldest son, William Henry; their son, Morris; and two little granddaughters, Mary and Susannah Mary.

In memory of the Hon. F.P. Robinson, born Sept. 22, 1785, died May 11, 1877.

In memory of Jane, wife of the Hon. F.P. Robinson, born April 9th, 1789, died February 4th 1871.

William Henry Robinson, born Nov. 29 1815, died Dec. 29, 1873.

In memory of Geo. Morris Robinson, born at the Nashwaaksis Dec. 1819, died Apr. 9th, 1841.

In memory of Mary, born April 5th, 1848, died Aug. 11, 1849 and Susannah Mary born March 23, 1855, died March 13th, 1858, children of William H and Mary McL Robinson. "Of such is the Kingdom of Heaven" I.H.S. ‘Jesu Mercy’

Colonel Beverley Robinson (1722-1792) was born in Virginia, the son of John Robinson (1683-1749). He raised and commanded the Loyal American Regiment during the American Revolution, and died in England. Colonel Robinson and his wife Susannah Philipse had ten children, three of whom died young. Of their five sons, four served with their father’s regiment: Beverley (1754-1816), Morris (1759-1815), John (1761-1828), and Frederick Philipse (1763-1852). The youngest, William Henry (1766-1836), was sent to England at the beginning of the Revolution.

Lt. Col. Beverley Robinson was the eldest son of Col. Beverley Robinson and Susannah Philipse. He married Anna Dorothea ("Nancy") Barclay of New York, and eventually settled at Nashwaaksis. Three of their ten children settled in Fredericton and Nashwaaksis: Frederick Philipse, John, and William Henry.

The Honourable Frederick Philipse Robinson of Nashwaaksis (1785-1877) became Auditor General of New Brunswick. He married Jane, the daughter of Dr. Adino Paddock, Surgeon to the Ordnance in this province. They had five sons and one daughter.

John Robinson, who held the rank of Lieutenant Colonel with the 10th Regiment of Foot, married Eliza Maria Allaire. The youngest brother, Hon. William Henry Robinson (1793-1848), married Lousia Millidge of Saint John.

Hon. John Robinson, a brother of Lt. Col. Robinson, retired as a Colonel of the British Army. He married Elizabeth, a daughter of George Ludlow, Chief Justice of New Brunswick, and they had five sons and one daughter. He was deputy paymaster of the forces, a member of the Council and was for many years a mayor of the city of Saint John. In 1821 he was appointed first president of the Bank of New Brunswick, the first chartered bank in the Province. He was also provincial treasurer and filled other important offices. John Robinson died 8 October 1828, aged 67 years.

"Lt. Col. Beverley Robinson," Dr. Lillian Maxwell wrote, in the Official Centennial Book: The Story of Fredericton 1848-1948, was "formerly a wealthy landowner of Duchess County, N.Y., settled first in Fredericton, but his house being burned in 1788 he built again on the upper side of the Nashwaaksis. He was the first clerk of the New Brunswick Supreme Court, was appointed a member of the Governor’s Council in 1790, and was one of the first three trustees of the Academy of Learning. He was also colonel of the King’s New Brunswick Regiment."

Dr. Frank Baird, in the same book, continued:

This family, perhaps more than any other of the Loyalists who came to New Brunswick, brought with them, and maintained while here, what might be termed the ‘blue-blood’ attitude. They never forgot they had originated in Virginia, or that they had entertained Prince William Henry who later became King William IV. Their former high social standing, their wealth, culture, their friendship with Washington and others of the colonial aristocracy made this type of life natural to them. Indeed their aristocratic mannerisms added much of colour and variety to early Fredericton: especially, when, in winter, the family came to the city from their Nashwaaksis residence in their dashing four horse sleigh hung with buffalo robes: or, in summer, in a carriage fashioned on precisely the same lines as that in which royalty drove through the streets of London.

William Henry Robinson, grandson of Lt. Col. Beverley Robinson of Nashwaaksis, was a wine merchant.