Caroline Estey Price

Price

In Memory of Caroline, wife of Nathaniel L. Price, third daughter of William S. Estey, died 12th June 1851, aged 26 years

Caroline was a daughter of William Shepherd Estey and his wife Lucretia Estabrooks. She was married to Nathaniel Price in Fredericton on 2 September 1846 by the Reverend Samuel Elder. Nathaniel Price is shown in the 1851 census as 32 years old and a lodger, with H.S. Price, aged 4, at the home of his father-in-law.

The Estabrooks, Price, and Estey families were early settlers in New Brunswick. Benjamin Price and family were on the lower St. John River in 1765. A man named Nathaniel Price lived in Maugerville in 1776 and was a known sympathiser of the Americans.

James Pollock and Esther Lowrie family

Pollock

Buried near the Sampson lot in unmarked graves are James Pollock (1796-1870), his wife Esther Lowrie (1791-1874), and two of their children: Jane (1822-1850), the eldest daughter, and Esther L. Mullin (1827-1848). Henry Lowrie (1804-1884) and his wife Ellen are also buried here.

Mrs. James Pollock, Esther, was a sister of John and Henry Lowrie.

Hill notes:

Benjamin P. Williams, Parish of Douglas yeoman and Catherine his wife sold to John Lowrie for 100 pounds by deed of sale June 1829 and recorded register deeds and will, River St. John front 9 chains 11 feet 20 acres more or less with all houses, out houses, buildings edifices fences before Peter Fraser reg 10 June, 1833.

Esther L. Pollock married John Mullin, a shoemaker, on 1 July 1847 and died within a year. He remarried soon after, and his first child was named Esther.

Morning News, Saint John, NB, and Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 19 April 1848:

Died at Fredericton, on the 8th inst. Esther, wife of Mr. John Mullin and fourth daughter of Mr. James Pollock, aged 21 years.

James Pollock, a saw filer, had come with his wife in 1820 to New Brunswick from Ireland, according to the 1851 census. In 1842, James Pollock was a Lieutenant in the New Brunswick Regiment of Artillery. The family attended the Methodist Church. They lived on the corner of King Street, and the Sampson family lived in the next house on Carleton Street. The Pollock home was destroyed by fire in 1850 and nothing was saved.

According to the 1851 census, the household of James Pollock, 54, Irish, Labourer, included his wife Esther, 60, Irish; Henry, son, 14; and John Williams, lodger, 18, English, “subject to fits.”

New Brunswick Reporter and Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 5 August 1870:

Died on the 22nd ult., in this city, Mr. James Pollock aged 74 years.

Henry Pollock, the only son of James and Esther, was born in 1838. He was a harness maker and lived with his parents until 1861 when he moved to Cambridge. While there he was married and became a member of the British Order of Templars. When he returned to Fredericton, he formed a lodge. Henry’s wife, Matilda Hall, lived with her aunt Martha Pollock prior to her marriage.

Lovell’s Directory 1871 described him as a carriage trimmer at Carleton and Brunswick Streets. In 1881, Henry Pollock was 42, Methodist, harness maker, living with Matilda, his wife, 43[?], and their children: Charles H., 15; Esther, 14; William H., 12; Mary, 10; Jennie, 7; John, 4; and George, 1 year.

The Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 6 June 1891:

The ‘Boston Herald’ — Charles Pollock, a young carriage trimmer has been missing since last Saturday. He left his residence at 103 Union Street about 5 o’clock Sunday eve. and that was the last seen of him. He worked at 153 High St. and had no relatives in Boston, his home being in Fredericton, N.B. – He is a son of Henry Pollock who is trimmer at Edgecombe’s carriage factory.

Henry Pollock was a well-known citizen, living in a house he built in upper Charlotte Street. He was a member of the Volunteer Fire Brigade and Captain of No. 1 Hose Company, consisting of eight men and the hand reel, and also played in the city brass band. When he died, in 1918, he was given the largest Odd Fellows funeral ever seen in Fredericton.

Richard Pinder and family

Pinder

Pinder, Zitelia Susan July 27, 1876, 3 months

From the Old Burying Ground records, City of Fredericton:

Richard M. Pinder claims a lot 8 x 13, old part bounded south by the Charles Mills lot, east by William Anderson’s lot and on the north by A. Estey’s lot. Enclosed by four wooden stakes and marked by monuments with names Stella and Robie on same. This lot was marked for the above claimer by William Craig in the early 1870s.

“Stella” and “Robbie” were the children of John and Elizabeth Wilson.

Richard M. Pinder lived in Brunswick Street on the north corner of Church. He was a partner in Cooper’s carriage trade in the 1870s, Cooper and Pinder. The carriage factory was in King Street between York and Westmorland Streets. He married Frances C. Payne, eldest daughter of Richard Payne, in 1874. Zitelia Susan was their daughter. Several others of their children died young, including two sons of diptheria in 1881.

Census, Fredericton, NB, 1901:

Pinder, Richard, head of household, born Feb 16 1846, aged 55

Francis, wife, Aug 28 1846, 54

Annie, daughter, Mar 19 1881, 20

May, daughter, Dec 30 1882, 18

Gertrude, daughter, Apr 16 1885, 15

Jack, son, Oct 4 1889, 11

Annie, mother, widow, Apr 6 1814, 86

Richard Pinder’s mother Ann, widow of John Pinder, was a confectioner and grocer. In 1861, the census showed Ann Pinder, 46, sharing a home with Elizabeth, 24; George, 13; Mary, 9; and three grandsons: Henry Devitt, 5; Francis, 3; and George R., 1 month.

The New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66 lists Richard and James Pinder, both carpenters, at Queen near St. John Street. Lovell’s Directory 1871 shows Richard M. Pinder, Colwell Pinder Company, Queen Street, and James K. Pinder, Builder, Queen Street.

New Brunswick Reporter and Fredericton Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 1 April 1896:

Major Wm T. Howe of Stanley (York Co.) and Capt. R.M. Pinder of this city, two of the oldest officers in the 71st Battalion, have resigned their commissions in the militia…. Capt. Pinder has been connected with the militia for nearly 35 years. He was a member of the old Victoria Rifles and was with his corps at St. Andrews at the time of the Fenian scare. He was a crack rifle shot in his younger days and was at Wimbleton with the Canadian team in 1875.

Pinder is not a common surname in Fredericton, and others listed in the records are most likely related to Richard Pinder.

Mary Huestis Pengilly, travelling poet

Pengilly

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 29 September 1841:

Died at Saint John on the 27th ult in hope of a joyful resurrection, Ann, wife of Robert Pengilly, in the 31st year of her age.

Morning News, Saint John, NB, 2 February 1847:

Married at Queensbury County of York on the 16th instant by the Rev. D. McCurdy, Mr. Robert Pengilly of St. John to Miss Mary Huestis daughter of Lewis Heustis Esq of the former place.

Warrants, Journals of the House of Assembly, New Brunswick:

To Mary Pengilly, late Mary Huestis, the sum of twenty pounds in full for her services as teacher to the 31st of December, 1850.

Mary Huestis and Robert Pengilly had five sons and one daughter. Their home in Saint John was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1877. By 1883, Mary Huestis Pengilly was living in Massachusetts. In October of that year, she was admitted to the Provincial Lunatic Asylum in Saint John. Her Diary Written in the Provincial Lunatic Asylum, self-published in 1885, refers to the election as Alderman of her son, Thomas M. Pengilly, and to his brother Lewis going "800 miles beyond Winnipeg surveying." For Valentine’s Day, 1884, the Saint John Globe published a list of 225 marriageable men, which included one Thomas Pengilly, "the most silent member of the Common Council board."

Daily Telegraph, Saint John, NB, August 5, 1893:

A Dubuque, Iowa despatch of the 3rd says: Mrs. Mary Huestis PENGILLY died at Mercy Hospital today and her remains will be forwarded to Boston on receipt of instructions from her son, a druggist there. She left the asylum, Saint John, N.B. nine years ago and thereafter travelled through the country selling poems which she said the angels had inspired, and her diary criticizing the management of the St. John asylum. She reached here two weeks ago and was adjudged insane, but being sick was sent to the hospital. – Deceased was well known in this city. Her son carried on a drug business in the city market building and was also a member of city council.

Mary Huestis Pengilly died in 1893 and is believed to be buried in the Huestis plot. Her father is buried in Section J with the Athertons.