William D. Speight, aged 4


In Memory of William D., son of David T. and Susan Speight, died November 11th, 1859, aged 4 years

They laid him under the fresh green sod / With a heart almost broken yet trusting in God / The heart and the form which I cherished here / I shall meet again in a happier sphere

David Speight, father of little William, was born in 1823, was a sea captain and lived at Indiantown most of his life. He suffered a stroke eleven years before his death at the home of his son Allen in Maywood, New Jersey, in 1891. This small lot was unclaimed in 1886. Only the base remains of the stone once marking this grave. It is very close to the Thomas Estey plot.

Thomas Sampson, Charles Sampson, and Turner’s Express


Thomas Sampson 1807-1854

Jane Sampson 1819-1900

James Henry 1843-1846

Jane 1841-1915

Children of Thomas and Jane Sampson

Thomas Sampson came from England in 1830 with his wife and a baby. His wife died upon arrival, and he was remarried to Jane Johnson, who was Irish. He was a tinsmith and a printer.

Saint John, NB, 23 January 1854:

Deaths at Fredericton on the 17th inst. Mr. Thomas Sampson, aged 49 years, formerly of Devonshire, England.

The census for 1861 shows the widow Jane Sampson, 43, living with her children Thomas, 22, printer; Charles, 21; Jane, 19; John, 15; and William, 13. Hutchinson’s New Brunswick Directory for 1865-1866 lists Jane Sampson, widow of Thomas, and her two eldest sons located at Carleton near King Street. Thomas was a printer and Charles A. was an agent for Turner’s Express. Mary, Thomas Sampson’s daughter by his first wife, married John Harrison in 1859 at Portland, Maine.

New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66:

Turner’s American Express, Charles A. Sampson, Agent, Queen Street forwards packages and parcels of goods and money, goods purchased, notes, drafts and bills collected, Fredericton, St. John, Halifax, Boston, New York.

Turner’s Express was an active company, with agents in towns throughout the province. The elder Sampson may also have been connected with the business. In 1833 the schedule was Fredericton to Saint John, stopping overnight en route, proceeding the next day to Eastport, this part of the journey by stage. The following day at noon a sailing ship left Eastport for Boston, a trip that usually took two and a half days. This was speedier and more pleasant than going all the way by stage, which took eleven days.

The Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 25 October, 1895:

Thomas Sampson, formerly of this city, but for some time back employed on the staff of a daily newspaper in Norwich, Conn., is in Fredericton on a visit. This is his first visit during 27 years. Mr. Sampson served his apprenticeship to the Art Preservative with the late John Simpson, Queen’s Printer in the Royal Gazette office. He is a brother of C.A. Sampson, Secretary of the Board of School Trustees. In his first stroll down Queen Street in 27 years, accompanied by his sister, he received quite an ovation from numerous old friends. About 1866 Mr. Sampson was an active member of the old Victoria Rifles (Capt. Simonds) of this city, as well as the old No. 1 engine company (Capt. John Moore) at present our esteemed city treasurer.

Jane, the widow of Thomas Sampson, is remembered as residing in Carleton Street with her unmarried daughter, “Jenny.” The family was prominent in the work of the Wilmot Church, and Charles Sampson was for many years Secretary of the Fredericton School Board.

Caroline Estey Price


In Memory of Caroline, wife of Nathaniel L. Price, third daughter of William S. Estey, died 12th June 1851, aged 26 years

Caroline was a daughter of William Shepherd Estey and his wife Lucretia Estabrooks. She was married to Nathaniel Price in Fredericton on 2 September 1846 by the Reverend Samuel Elder. Nathaniel Price is shown in the 1851 census as 32 years old and a lodger, with H.S. Price, aged 4, at the home of his father-in-law.

The Estabrooks, Price, and Estey families were early settlers in New Brunswick. Benjamin Price and family were on the lower St. John River in 1765. A man named Nathaniel Price lived in Maugerville in 1776 and was a known sympathiser of the Americans.

James Pollock and Esther Lowrie family


Buried near the Sampson lot in unmarked graves are James Pollock (1796-1870), his wife Esther Lowrie (1791-1874), and two of their children: Jane (1822-1850), the eldest daughter, and Esther L. Mullin (1827-1848). Henry Lowrie (1804-1884) and his wife Ellen are also buried here.

Mrs. James Pollock, Esther, was a sister of John and Henry Lowrie.

Hill notes:

Benjamin P. Williams, Parish of Douglas yeoman and Catherine his wife sold to John Lowrie for 100 pounds by deed of sale June 1829 and recorded register deeds and will, River St. John front 9 chains 11 feet 20 acres more or less with all houses, out houses, buildings edifices fences before Peter Fraser reg 10 June, 1833.

Esther L. Pollock married John Mullin, a shoemaker, on 1 July 1847 and died within a year. He remarried soon after, and his first child was named Esther.

Morning News, Saint John, NB, and Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 19 April 1848:

Died at Fredericton, on the 8th inst. Esther, wife of Mr. John Mullin and fourth daughter of Mr. James Pollock, aged 21 years.

James Pollock, a saw filer, had come with his wife in 1820 to New Brunswick from Ireland, according to the 1851 census. In 1842, James Pollock was a Lieutenant in the New Brunswick Regiment of Artillery. The family attended the Methodist Church. They lived on the corner of King Street, and the Sampson family lived in the next house on Carleton Street. The Pollock home was destroyed by fire in 1850 and nothing was saved.

According to the 1851 census, the household of James Pollock, 54, Irish, Labourer, included his wife Esther, 60, Irish; Henry, son, 14; and John Williams, lodger, 18, English, “subject to fits.”

New Brunswick Reporter and Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 5 August 1870:

Died on the 22nd ult., in this city, Mr. James Pollock aged 74 years.

Henry Pollock, the only son of James and Esther, was born in 1838. He was a harness maker and lived with his parents until 1861 when he moved to Cambridge. While there he was married and became a member of the British Order of Templars. When he returned to Fredericton, he formed a lodge. Henry’s wife, Matilda Hall, lived with her aunt Martha Pollock prior to her marriage.

Lovell’s Directory 1871 described him as a carriage trimmer at Carleton and Brunswick Streets. In 1881, Henry Pollock was 42, Methodist, harness maker, living with Matilda, his wife, 43[?], and their children: Charles H., 15; Esther, 14; William H., 12; Mary, 10; Jennie, 7; John, 4; and George, 1 year.

The Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 6 June 1891:

The ‘Boston Herald’ — Charles Pollock, a young carriage trimmer has been missing since last Saturday. He left his residence at 103 Union Street about 5 o’clock Sunday eve. and that was the last seen of him. He worked at 153 High St. and had no relatives in Boston, his home being in Fredericton, N.B. – He is a son of Henry Pollock who is trimmer at Edgecombe’s carriage factory.

Henry Pollock was a well-known citizen, living in a house he built in upper Charlotte Street. He was a member of the Volunteer Fire Brigade and Captain of No. 1 Hose Company, consisting of eight men and the hand reel, and also played in the city brass band. When he died, in 1918, he was given the largest Odd Fellows funeral ever seen in Fredericton.