In memory of A. Henry Clark, died in Fredericton, July 11th, 1865 aged 56 years and his wife Christianna, died Feb. 5th, 1887 age 79 years.
Also their son Edwin B. who died at Jacksonville, Florida, April 4, 1871 in the 27th year of his age.
Footstones: “Mother” and “Father.”
Lot #44, 10 x 12 feet, was purchased in 1866 and contains one large stone inscribed on two sides. The engraved symbol on the top of Edwin Clark’s epitaph is an anchor and rope. There were five graves here enclosed by wooden paling painted black. Besides the graves of A. Henry Clark and his wife and son, there are two unmarked graves: Louisa Augusta, born 1 December 1837, died 22 August 1918; and George Samuel Clark, born 7 May 1846, died 12 December 1922.
Abraham Henry Clark, born 19 May 1807, was the eldest son of Samuel Clark and his wife Abigail Jewett. He was born on the farm at Keswick Ridge and became a house builder in Fredericton and was one of the best.
He married, on 7 May 1835, Christianna ("Ann") Bain, born 6 August 1808. This marriage was one of the first performed under the new law which permitted dissenting clergymen in New Brunswick to perform the marriage ceremony. Christianna Bain was of Scottish descent and a devout Christian. Prior to her death she was an invalid for some years.
Henry Clark brought his bride to a large house which he bought and improved — the King Street property of Thomas Everett. He subsequently built two houses in George Street.
The children of Henry and Christianna were Henry Bradford (1836-1921), Louisa Augusta (1837-1918), Charles Frederick (1841-1927), Edwin B. (1845-1871), and George Samuel (1846-1922).
Henry Bradford, the eldest son, a builder like his father, married Hannah Barker, daughter of Andrew Ritchie, also a noted builder of houses. She was a granddaughter of William Anderson, High Sheriff of York County (1801-1811), a noted Loyalist and a trader. His father, John Anderson, long connected with Nova Scotia as a trader and once a rival of Hazen, Simonds & White, bequeathed to his son William Anderson the 10,000-acre Monckton Grant and a tremendous debt. Henry Bradford Clark built the house in George Street, now numbered 759, in which he and his wife first resided and reared a family.
Miss Louisa Augusta and her youngest brother, George, remained unmarried and resided together for many years in one of the houses built by their father on George Street opposite the Old Burying Ground. George was employed by the Fred Edgecombe company for years as manager of one of the departments in the store.